Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Field Experience Reflection

1. How many hours did you complete?
5 hours (300 minutes)

2. In a bulleted list, describe how you spent your time. 

  • 1.5 hours were spent with my school librarian in which she taught me how to utilize the video streaming system called Vbrick. Our school has just recently purchased this system and I did not realize all it had to offer. In my classroom we create lots of videos as a class- and this is a tool I did not know I had to share and upload these videos. 
  • 2.5 hours were spent organizing, shelving, and scanning books with my librarian. As we did this she taught me about how the library is organized, where book series are kept, etc. I was not familiar with our library before this and was unaware of all of the resources available to me. I also ended up personally scanning EVERY book in our library- so now I have a much better understanding of the books at my disposal and how they may fit into the curriculum. Although it was exhausting, it was time well spent! 
  • 1 hour was spent brainstorming some areas in which the librarian and myself could collaborate. We shared standards and discussed some areas which we could work together. At the end of the school year, my fourth graders will be doing a project both in my homeroom, as well as in the library. They will each be researching a famous Kentuckian and they will be participating in a "wax museum". They will dress up like their figure and prepare a 1-2 minute speech to give when a visitor drops some change in their bucket (similar to street performers in big cities). I am looking forward to this collaborating project with our librarian. 
3. How did the experience help you strengthen a Kentucky Standard. 
 
The standards I think was strengthened the most through these hours is Standard 6  and Standard 8. Standard 6 states "The teacher demonstrates the implementation of technology". This standard was strengthened by the training I received in the Vbrick program. Many times my students create videos that we cannot share on YouTube because students in our classes have not signed the media agreement.  This program gives an alternative and more private way to share our creations and video products with those in our district and our families. Standard 8 states "The teacher collaborates with colleagues, parents, and others". This standard was strengthened because the librarian and myself have designed a collaboration project for our students to research famous Kentuckians both in the classroom as well as with the librarian. She will teach them research skills, give them useful websites, teach how to evaluate the reliability of a source, etc. 

4. Give one thing you learned. 

Thought it may sound silly, I learned how the library was organized. In elementary school, I can remember the Dewey Decimal System and ALWAYS being confused by it (unfortunately). I could just never quite get the hang of it. It was nice to get in the library as an adult and learn where the different genre books are located. Now I really understand and will be able to better help my own students locate what they are looking for. 

-Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment